Pages

Wellkom!
How to get the most from this blog... While visiting turn on one of my favorite songs brought to you by youtube and snag a Kjenn Jie Noch (what we use) Wi Leahre Plautdietsch (also good) I have linked to them. Top posts are in ascending order thus if it is your first time visiting start at the end. If you wish to have a scanned copy of any image I own email me, they are free for personal use. My personal library is open for research to local GMR's and students, for use on site only.
Gott saajne!

Monday, February 6, 2012

Streuselkuchen

What a beautiful morning it was in eastern SD.

De boom jlistre enn de sonn.
The trees glisten in the sun.

Below is a photo of the Monroe Elevator and frosted winter trees. 
Looking southwest from our home.
Feb. 5th 2012

The view outside and the smell inside could not make for a better start to the day.
Streuselkuchen was baked this AM.
(Streusel Cake)
I use a basic Zwieback recipe from my Aunt Ella Berg Tieszen,
 topped with condensed milk and crumb topping.

Sliced up bits of heaven...

Jo! The Amazing Race on CBS is one of my favorite television shows.  
Favorite episodes include the cowboy brothers Jet and Cord.
In the youtube video below you will see Jet eating a piece of Kuchen 
at the Onces y Cabanas Bellavista in Chile 
*(take note he is pronouncing Kuchen wrong)*
GMR's started emigrating to Chile in 1848
My Gravy!  LOL, that expression cracks me up every time;)
I can tell you what KUCHEN is
KUCHEN pronounced as COOK-N and it means cake and or a pie like pastry.
My favorite varieties are cherry and Poppyseed, YUMMY!

Streusel, sounds like stroy- sell  =   Something Scattered or Sprinkled
de  sounds like the e in (met) deh =   the
boom,  sounds like baum   =  trees
enn, sounds like n  =   in
de sonn sounds like deh sone   =   the sun  
jo  Sounds like   yo  =   yes    
Jlistre  sounds like ya-liss-ter   =   glisten  


Gott Saajne!

1 comment: