Pages

Wellkom!
How to get the most from this blog... While visiting turn on one of my favorite songs brought to you by youtube and snag a Kjenn Jie Noch (what we use) Wi Leahre Plautdietsch (also good) I have linked to them. Top posts are in ascending order thus if it is your first time visiting start at the end. If you wish to have a scanned copy of any image I own email me, they are free for personal use. My personal library is open for research to local GMR's and students, for use on site only.
Gott saajne!

Sunday, February 5, 2012

German Scripts and Translations

German Script has to be, hands down, the most difficult time I have in translating old documents.  Between aging ink and handwriting skills this task is difficult and often leads to one gigantic headache.  Today my plan is to inform you on the type names and point you in the direction of a cypher sheet.  I have this printed out and readily available when I am transcribing.


Here is some history of Old German Script.
In 1455 when Gutenberg was printing the first Bible he had to carve three hundred (some sources quote 290) characters to represent a twenty six letter alphabet.  
The first Bible was thus printed in a script called Blackletter.
It took an entire day to create one letter!


In Nazi Germany Hitler sent out a decree stating that the only script to be used is 
 (normalschrift) Normal Script
 all others were found to be Jewish in origin
.

Hitlers Decree

Yet there are many other script styles some are
Fraktur

Kurrent

Jack-boot Helvetica
(schaftstiefel Grotesk)

Sutterlin
Antique book I have in my library...
What script was used, can you translate the script? 
 I will give you a few days before I post the answer for you;)
Please do not leave your answer in the comment section, TY.
Any questions leave a comment or email me at paschal.sara@gmail.com

Gott Saajne!

No comments:

Post a Comment