Pages

Wellkom!
How to get the most from this blog... While visiting turn on one of my favorite songs brought to you by youtube and snag a Kjenn Jie Noch (what we use) Wi Leahre Plautdietsch (also good) I have linked to them. Top posts are in ascending order thus if it is your first time visiting start at the end. If you wish to have a scanned copy of any image I own email me, they are free for personal use. My personal library is open for research to local GMR's and students, for use on site only.
Gott saajne!

Friday, November 8, 2013

Wolf Creek

   
 With our freezer breaking down a week ago and a new one coming into the house I have been working all week to get it filled up.
I had to make a special trip for Chicken and the best place
 I know to score awesome chicken is the
Wolf Creek Colony.

Photo below are of the eggs I picked up at the same time...

 So why the heck is she sharing this you ask?
When I travel to the colony I pass the family homestead
and this story comes to mind:

"One winter the snow was very deep all winter.  It was impossible to make a trip to Yankton by ox team.  They (Peter Adrian family)  ran out of flour, so Jacob Adrian and his brother (possibly Heinrich or Peter) tied three feet boards to their shoes and pulling a hand sled, they started across the prairie to the colony 18 miles away.  Wolf Creek Colony.  This trip took two days."
From Sarah Adrian Ratzlaff

2 days, 18 miles in deep snow.  I am worn out just thinking about that trek.
In 2013 I  hopped in my truck and arrived at the colony about 20 minutes later.
Truthfully if I had to strap boards on my feet and pull a sled through deep snow I would not make it to the end of our driveway;)
I am so blessed to have strong ancestors that paved the way for my generation and beyond.
If you are in the area and have not tried the colony chickens, eggs and Watermelon
you must take the adventure to 
Wolf Creek.
 I guarantee you will enjoy.

Photo below is an immigrant couple using a hand sled


Directions to Wolf Creek from Sioux Falls SD and Monroe SD.
Follow the purple path if you are coming from Sioux Falls.
The blue path is from my home in Monroe to the colony.  
However, I do not go through Marion  as the computer plotted
I take the Dolton/Monroe oil road, 269th Street to 81.
My GG Grandfathers homestead talked about in the family history snippet is located 1/2 mile North of Silver Lake (marked by the star on the map).
The Adrian Family cemetery is located 1/2 mile north from the house.

During the said tough winter in the story above this photo below shows the homestead claim house.
Second photo shows the house that was built in 1894.

A few more views:


Address,  phone numbers and directions to
Wolf Creek Colony:
Wolf Creek

42906 Colony Rd, Olivet, SD 57052
Industry: 605 925-4868 
Switchboard: 605 925-4850
**If you are making a special trip that does not coordinate with butchering days call ahead.


 Hudderite fashion today:


 Mennonite fashion today:



Wolf Creek Colony is a Hudderite Colony.
The main difference in Hudderite and Mennonite is Hudders live communally while my ancestors of Mennonite faith
independently owned homesteads and secured their own individual wealth. 

Gott Saajne!

No comments:

Post a Comment